Saturday, October 07, 2006

Another day another... Oh wait

Another week has gone by at the ole' DHS. Everything is going pretty well, chugging along and whatnot. Monday I went to a luncheon for the scholarship that I received from The Washington Center. The luncheon was pretty standard. Went, got food, talked, got our picture taken, left. BUT the food was delicious (and FREE) and I knew a few girls who were mutual friends of my roommates'. Monday afternoon, we had our usual lecture series. This week, we had a woman from the state department who came and spoke about counterterrorism. Though I definitely didn't agree with everything that was said, she was a lot more candid in her answers and very respectful of questions asked by TWC students (unlike the Mexican ambassador who wouldn't answer anything straight out). Later in the week, I had my first "all hands" meeting for our organization. It was pretty bland... And there were NO refreshments or food of any kind (something that we were NEVER short on at HS) I'm convinced the government doesn't want people to be fed--no office coffee, have to pay to join the "water club", no snacks at all hands meetings (and I still haven't gotten my metro checks...) ANYWAY...

Other than that, I've just been working on a few papers etc. Last night, I went out with a girl from IOWA (can't get away from the Midwest)to Adams Morgan (the most incredible, eclectic street here with all of the best bars) Unfortunately, as I am not 21, I do not get to enjoy any of these. But, AM still has some great restaurants so last night a group of us went to "The Diner" (where I had been once before with my roommates) and got dinner/dessert. If you're ever in DC, you HAVE to check this place out. It's incredibly cheap and awesome food and it's open 24 hours and serves breakfast food all the time (but much more upscale than ihop). It's great--anyone who comes to visit (hint hint), I am taking you here. I love it. (and by the way, I had a butterscotch brownie with captain morgan caramel sauce, whipped cream and ice cream on top--HEAVEN)

So today is kind of chilly and blah. I woke up super early despite having gone to bed at 2. Tania and I got groceries this morning (walked through the rain to the Giant... lame) and now we're back and just hanging out. I might go to Crystal City to a bar to watch the IOWA homecoming game (sorry illini, they don't show us out here because we are just too bad :( ) but I'm kind of ready to just curl up and get working on my gigantic 30 pager that I really need to start writing... eek! Anyways, hope all is well with everyone. I finally get to relax and have a three day weekend :) Oh the perks of being a federal employee...

Listening to...Dear Chicago-Ryan Adams (since the bears game on Sunday, I've been having small doses of missing Chicago... Only to be fueled by this song that I've basically had on repeat all week)

xoxo.
love, aim

No comments: